Hi, Victor here.
I'm an expert in Applied Machine Learning and HCI.
I am currently a Machine Learning Research Engineer at Cloudera Fast Forward Labs. My research interests are at the intersection of human-computer interaction (HCI), computational social science, and applied machine learning. My research has been published at conferences such as EMNLP, AAAI, and CHI and has received multiple best paper awards. My work has also been featured in outlets such as the Wall Street Journal and VentureBeat. I am an IEEE Senior member, a Google Certified Professional ( Data Engineer, Cloud Architect ) and currently a Google Developer Expert in Machine Learning.
I Hold a PhD in Information Systems from City University of Hong Kong (recipient of the HKPFS scholar award by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council) and an MSc in Information Networking from the Information Networking Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. I previously worked as a Research Staff Member at IBM Research, Technical Lead for MIT Global Startup Labs, Researcher at the Innovation Management Lab, Athens Information Technology Athens Greece, and founder/lead developer for a small startup focused on West African markets.
In my free time, I enjoy music (), sports (participate in the Hong Kong Marathon thrice) and exploring art (drawing, african mask art).
All Projects ->
- March 21, 2021State of Deep Learning for Object Detection - You Should Consider CenterNets!It's 2021 - there has been quite a bit of progress in practical models for object detection.
- March 13, 2021How to Add Newsletter Signup (Revue) to a Static Site (Gatsby)I just added newsletter signup to my Gatsby website. Here's how I got it done.
- March 03, 2021Real-Time High-Resolution Background Matting | Paper ReviewA review of the CVPR 2021 paper "Real-Time High-Resolution Background Matting".
- March 02, 2021U2Net Going Deeper with Nested U-Structure for Salient Object Detection | Paper ReviewA review of the August 2020 U^2-Net paper. Technical overview, practical considerations.
- November 2019
QCON SFSan Francisco, USA.ML in the Browser: Interactive Experiences with Tensorflow.js
- November 2019
Tensorflow World Santa Clara, California USA.Handtrack.js: Building gesture-based interactions in the browser using TensorFlow.js
- November 2019
Google ML SummitPittsburgh PA, Cambridge, USA.Art + AI : Generating Novel African Mask Art using Generative Adversarial Networks
- September 2019
OReilly Strata Data Conference New York, USA.Handtrack.js: Building gesture-based interactions in the browser using TensorFlow
All Talks ->
- December 2020updateFinally made out time to update this website with React and Gatsby!
- September 2020paperNeuralQA has been accepted as a demo paper at EMNLP 2020!
- July 2020projectExcited to release NeuralQA - A Usable Library for (Extractive) Question Answering on Large Datasets with BERT. Try it out on Github.
- January 2020conferenceI am helping to orgainize the Practical Machine Learining for Developing Countries Workshop at ICLR 2020 PML4DC . Please consider submitting your work by February 1.