Hi, Victor here.
I'm an expert in Applied Machine Learning and HCI.
I am currently a Principal Research Software Engineer at the Human-AI eXperiences (HAX) team, at Microsoft Research. My research interests are at the intersection of human-computer interaction (HCI), computational social science, and applied machine learning. My research has been published at conferences such as EMNLP, AAAI, and CHI and has received multiple best paper awards. My work has also been featured in outlets such as the Wall Street Journal and VentureBeat. I am an IEEE Senior member, a Google Certified Professional ( Data Engineer, Cloud Architect ) and currently a Google Developer Expert in Machine Learning.
I Hold a PhD in Information Systems from City University of Hong Kong (recipient of the HKPFS scholar award by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council) and an MSc in Information Networking from the Information Networking Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. I previously worked as a Principal Research Engineer at Cloudera Fast Forward Labs, Research Staff Member at IBM Research, Technical Lead for MIT Global Startup Labs, Researcher at the Innovation Management Lab, Athens Information Technology Athens Greece, and founder/lead developer for a small startup focused on West African markets.
In my free time, I enjoy music (some self taught guitar, piano), sports (participated in the Hong Kong Marathon thrice) and exploring art (some drawing, african mask art).
- August 27, 2021How to Implement Extractive Summarization with BERT in PytorchHow to Implement Extractive Summarization (as Sentence Classification) using HuggingFace BERT models in Pytorch
- August 22, 2021Neural Extractive Summarization with BERTOverview of Extractive Summarization using BERT Based Models
- May 18, 2021Top 10 Machine Learning and Design Insights from Google IO 2021A list of the top 10 design and AI/ML insights discussed at Google IO 2021.
- March 21, 2021State of Deep Learning for Object Detection - You Should Consider CenterNets!It's 2021 - there has been quite a bit of progress in practical models for object detection.
All Projects ->
- June 2021
Fast Forward LiveOnline.Deep Learning for Automatic Offline Signature Verification
- November 2019
QCON SFSan Francisco, USA.ML in the Browser: Interactive Experiences with Tensorflow.js
- November 2019
Tensorflow World Santa Clara, California USA.Handtrack.js: Building gesture-based interactions in the browser using TensorFlow.js
- November 2019
Google ML SummitPittsburgh PA, Cambridge, USA.Art + AI : Generating Novel African Mask Art using Generative Adversarial Networks
All Talks ->
- October 2021updateI have joined the Human AI eXperience (HAX) team at Microsoft Research as a Principal Research Software Engineer
- December 2020updateFinally made out time to update this website with React and Gatsby!
- September 2020paperNeuralQA has been accepted as a demo paper at EMNLP 2020!
- July 2020projectExcited to release NeuralQA - A Usable Library for (Extractive) Question Answering on Large Datasets with BERT. Try it out on Github.