Hi, Victor here.
I'm an expert in Applied Machine Learning and HCI.
I am currently a Principal Research Software Engineer at the Human-AI eXperiences (HAX) team, at Microsoft Research. My research interests are at the intersection of human-computer interaction (HCI), computational social science, and applied machine learning. My research has been published at conferences such as EMNLP, AAAI, and CHI and has received multiple best paper awards. My work has also been featured in outlets such as the Wall Street Journal and VentureBeat. I am an IEEE Senior member, a Google Certified Professional ( Data Engineer, Cloud Architect ) and currently a Google Developer Expert in Machine Learning.
I Hold a PhD in Information Systems from City University of Hong Kong (recipient of the HKPFS scholar award by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council). My dissertation studied developer contribution behaviour in software crowdsourcing contests - factors influencing participation, the impact of incentives on participation behaviour and the problem solving process within crowdsourcing contests. Prior to City University, I studied at the Information Networking Institute at Carnegie Mellon University where I earned a Masters degree in Information Networking. I previously worked as a Principal Research Engineer at Cloudera Fast Forward Labs, Research Staff Member at IBM Research, Technical Lead for MIT Global Startup Labs, Researcher at the Innovation Management Lab, Athens Information Technology Athens Greece, and founder/lead developer for a small startup focused on West African markets.
In my free time, I enjoy music (some self taught guitar, piano), sports (participated in the Hong Kong Marathon thrice) and exploring art (some drawing, 3d modelling, african mask art).
All content on this site are my ideas and do not reflect opinions of my employer.
- May 22, 2022How to Build An Android App and Integrate Tensorflow ML Models How to integrate your tensorflow models in a simple android app
- April 29, 2022How to Implement Gradient Explainations for a HuggingFace Text Classification Model (Tensorflow 2.0) Attribution based explanations via vanilla gradients for Huggingface BERT text classification models.
- April 25, 2022How to Finetune BERT for Text Classification (HuggingFace Transformers, Tensorflow 2.0) on a Custom Dataset Predict classes using HuggingFace Transformers Tensorflow 2.0 on your custom dataset.
- April 23, 2022State of Deep Learning for Code Generation (DL4Code) Machine learning models can now write decent code. Here are a list of key papers and models that address this task.
- March 15, 2022How to Render Jupyter Notebooks in Your Web (React) App How to convert your Jupyter Notebook to html and render it in a web app using React based frameworks like Gatsby, Next.js etc.
- March 06, 2022CodeXGLUE: A Machine Learning Benchmark Dataset for Code Understanding and Generation | Paper Review A review of the March 2021 paper on CodexGLUE, a dataset for code understanding and generation
- March 01, 2022How to Speed Up Neural Network Training with Intel's Gaudi HPUs. A Tensorflow 2.0 Object Detection Example You have heard of GPUs, and TPUs. Here is what you need to know as an ML engineer to use HPUs (Habana Processor Units)!
- February 25, 2022Signature Image Cleaning with Tensorflow 2.0 - TF.Data and Autoencoders How to create a synthetic TF.Data generator and train a deep convolutional neural networks on the task of signature cleaning.
All Projects ->
- June 2021
Fast Forward LiveOnline.Deep Learning for Automatic Offline Signature Verification
- November 2019
QCON SFSan Francisco, USA.ML in the Browser: Interactive Experiences with Tensorflow.js
- November 2019
Tensorflow World Santa Clara, California USA.Handtrack.js: Building gesture-based interactions in the browser using TensorFlow.js
- November 2019
Google ML SummitPittsburgh PA, Cambridge, USA.Art + AI : Generating Novel African Mask Art using Generative Adversarial Networks
All Talks ->
- March 2022awardMy work on Signver (a library for automatic signature verification) is awarded 'Best Computer Vision Application' in the AWS Deep Learning Challenge
- February 2022awardMy Kaggle Notebook 'Signature Image Cleaning with Tensorflow 2.0' is awarded the 'Google OSS Expert Prize'
- October 2021updateI have joined the Human AI eXperience (HAX) team at Microsoft Research as a Principal Research Software Engineer
- December 2020updateFinally made out time to update this website with React and Gatsby!