2020 Year in Review
This year has been challenging, in so many different ways - the pandemic, protests/justice movements, conflicts, wars, health challenges that have directly impacted me or loved ones. With all the bad, also came some good - the opportunity to spend more time with family and watch my little boy grow! It's hard to reflect on the year without mentioning these things. I have written year-in-review posts previously (see 2019, 2018); but this year feels different. Given how precarious the year has been, overall, I feel grateful to have made it in one piece.
Many of the things I'd hoped would get done didn't pan out. Some of the ones that worked out:
- Helped organize the Practical ML for Developing Countries workshop at ICLR 2020, serving as publications chair and building the workshop website.
- Built NeuralQA - a library + visual interface for neural question answering.
- Wrote a paper on NeuralQA which was published at the EMNLP conference demo track.
- Complete rewrite of ConvNet Playground (using React Hooks, better modularization of components, optimization for size/speed). Also split a portion of ConvNet Playground into a separate project - Neural Dreams.
- Wrote a couple of posts on the Cloudera Fast Forward Labs Blog.
- Gave 3 talks - two meetups, a short talk at the IEEEVis Conference VisxAI workshop and a demo poster presentation at EMNLP.
Cheers to everyone who made it to the end of the year. You did great, you are awesome, you are appreciated, you rock! Happy New Year!
For me, there are no grand set of goals or aspirations for 2021. I'll strive to love, to live, stay healthy and do my best.
P.S: Enjoy this short clip of the song
Im still standing by Elton John - (version by Taron Egerton from the Universal Picture animated movie - Sing). And its lyrics.